Employment Opportunity – Museum Custodian
The Cummer Museum seeks a Full-Time Museum Custodian to be part of a team responsible for the overall custodial/janitorial functions (maintaining a clean, healthy environment, providing quality care and housekeeping of the facility), program/rental set-ups, and light maintenance. The appearance of the facility makes a major impression on the overall visitor experience.
- Support the Museum’s mission, vision, and values by exhibiting the following behaviors: excellence and competence, collaboration, innovation, respect of the individual, commitment to our community, accountability, and ownership.
- Work is performed during hours when visitors are present and requires special efforts to preserve visitor safety and experience.
- Provide a variety of routine custodial, housekeeping, and general maintenance services.
- Clean and maintain all visitor and public spaces, staff offices, art studios, hallways, employee common areas, boardroom, stairs, and elevators.
- Clean all windows, doors, mirrors, tables, walls, partitions, woodwork, metal work, and drinking fountains.
- Vacuum all carpeted areas.
- Sweep and mop tiled floors.
- Clean and service all restrooms, sanitize toilet bowls, sinks, and countertops, and replenish hand soap, toilet rolls, and paper towel dispensers.
- Clean and disinfect railings, door knobs and handles, and light switches.
- Spot-clean spills on carpets and tile floors.
- Replace light bulbs as needed.
- Remove trash and replace plastic liners in all trash receptacles.
- Pick up litter and other debris throughout the Museum facility, grounds, and parking areas.
- Blow off outdoor patio area, remove leaves and debris from roofs.
- Safely move heavy objects and furniture as directed.
- Set up, arrange, and remove tables and chairs to prepare Museum spaces for meetings, special events, and private functions.
- Assist with routine and preventative maintenance, general repairs, shipping, and receiving.
- Properly requisition adequate cleaning supplies and equipment needed to complete jobs.
- Mix water and cleaning solutions according to product specifications.
- Monitor building security and safety by ensuring that doors to nonpublic areas are locked and that electrical appliances are turned off or do not create a hazard.
- Maintain records as required.
- Promptly report maintenance concerns, issues, or potential safety hazards to the Facilities Maintenance Manager.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- High school diploma or GED equivalent required with at least one year experience performing janitorial, custodial, or housekeeping duties, preferably in a museum, school, or other public facility.
- Knowledge of basic cleaning methods and maintenance skills.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and standard safety practices and procedures used in housekeeping and building maintenance.
- Familiarity with materials, chemicals, supplies, and equipment used to clean offices and public buildings in an efficient and economical manner.
- Self-motivated with a pleasant, positive and helpful attitude.
- Willingness to perform a variety of custodial-related tasks.
- Effective communication skills and the ability to deliver extraordinary customer service to visitors, staff, and volunteers.
- Ability to handle chemical products, soaps, and cleaning agents in a safe and responsible manner.
- Ability to independently operate standard cleaning, moving, and maintenance equipment, such as a floor machine, ladder, vacuum cleaner, hand truck, and pallet jack.
- Ability to follow instructions and adhere to schedules and assignments.
- Ability to exercise care and good judgment in performing assigned duties.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and work alone without close supervision.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings, weekends, and public holidays. Available to work special events that may occur outside of regular work schedule.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
- Normal building and office environment with occasional outside work on the Museum’s entry ways, patio, and parking lot.
- Regularly required to walk, sit, stand, remain on feet for long periods of time, stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, climb, balance, lift or move heavy objects weighing up to fifty (50) pounds, and reach with hands and arms.
- Frequently required to talk or hear.
- Specific vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Use various cleaning agents, some with harsh chemical compounds, and must be able to read and understand product labels.
- May be exposed to wet or humid conditions, moving mechanical parts, power tools, noise, and fumes or airborne particles.
Qualified applicants send cover letter and résumé to the Cummer Museum of Art & Gardens, Attn: Human Resources Department, 829 Riverside Ave, Jacksonville, FL 32204 or email@example.com.