Employment Opportunity - Maintenance Technician
The Cummer Museum of Art & Gardens is looking for an experienced, energetic, and proactive Full-time Maintenance Technician who will roll-up his/her sleeves. Through its exhibitions, education programs, and historic gardens, the museum campus embodies three of this institution’s core values: quality, access, and fun. The Maintenance Technician will be responsible for routine maintenance of museum buildings and providing an attractive, clean, safe, and well-maintained property, using a systematic approach that creates a world class visitor experience.
Responsible for the maintenance, operations, and repairs of the museum properties as required, including HVAC, building management, electrical components, lighting control, painting, pest control, and plumbing systems.
· Support The Cummer’s mission, vision, and values by exhibiting the following behaviors: excellence and competence, collaboration, innovation, respect of the individual, commitment to our community, and accountability and ownership.
· Ensure that the facility is always in good operating condition, maintained in a cost-effective condition and is reflective of our culture and values.
· Oversee the daily tasking of the Custodial team.
· Develop and ensure execution of all maintenance programs relating to the interior and exterior conditions and appearance of the properties, assuring the highest levels of visitor satisfaction.
· Establish a work request system; track, respond, and perform work requests and other miscellaneous repairs while providing excellent customer service.
· Direct, schedule, and perform preventative maintenance work, service response, equipment repairs and projects.
· Inspect all service work performed by vendors/contractors to ensure quality and compliance issues are achieved while providing a high quality visitor experience.
· Operate and maintain the building’s HVAC systems to optimum efficiencies while maintaining required humidity and temperature readings for the safety of the collection.
· Perform and/or supervise vendor preventative maintenance tasks on HVAC equipment as required, and maintain records on equipment.
· Perform day-today monitoring of vendor performance to assure full compliance with standards established within the service agreement.
· Assist with developing scope of work and competitively bid all facility projects that will be managed internally.
· Identify and anticipate major repairs, replacements, and capital projects to insure improved and continuous operations.
· Perform requisitioning, purchasing, and warehousing of adequate inventory of building supplies, janitorial supplies, materials and equipment and maintains records incidental to all activities of the facility.
· Identify and implement risk management techniques.
· Perform event set-up/break down for events, rentals, and programs, as needed.
· Assist with custodial work, as needed.
· Ensure safety checks on all alarm, fire, and security and elevator equipment.
· Respond to after hour call out if notified by alarm company, security, police, and fire department to secure building.
· Ensure compliance with museum safety and security policies and procedures.
· Participate as a member of the Museum’s safety committee.
· Compile, maintain, and update SDS binder.
· Handle errands necessary for Museum maintenance.
· Other job related duties as assigned.
Knowledge and skills:
· Three years of facility maintenance or building operations experience required.
· Experience as a maintenance technician in a museum, higher education institution or similar type of facility. Ability to work in a professional, visitor centered, quality service environment.
· Working knowledge of carpentry, HVAC, MEP, special events, special projects, grounds and the custodial services including equipment, applications, procedures, and safety.
· Ability to work independently using judgment and discretion to complete job duties, projects, and assignments.
· Must possess a high level of interpersonal and human relations skills; ability to interact appropriately with a wide variety of personality types.
· Working knowledge of computer hardware and software required to perform the duties of the position. Software knowledge includes a minimum of intermediate experience with Building Automation Systems.
· Ability to handle multiple projects and make decisions.
· Attention to detail and strong problem-solving skills.
· Demonstrate organizational skills.
· Experience in OSHA and safety standards.
· Bachelors degree in electrical or mechanical engineering or facilities management preferred, but not required; professional certification (CFM) is preferred.
· Respond to emergency maintenance requests as required; on-call coverage
· Valid Florida driver license.
· Requires lifting/pushing/pulling 50 to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 25 to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or 10 to 20 pounds of force constantly
· Must be able to climb ladders, work from a ladder, and work overhead
· Ability to smell smoke and other chemicals
· Must be able to work in heat or cold and outdoors
Qualified applicants send cover letter, resume and salary requirements to the Cummer Museum of Art & Gardens, Attn: Human Resources Department, 829 Riverside Ave, Jacksonville, FL 32204 or firstname.lastname@example.org.