Early Childhood Museum Educator – Independent Contractor
The Early Childhood Museum Educator will work with Museum Educators to develop and implement a new best-practices early childhood program funded by the Chartrand Family Foundation. The program will promote creative parent-child interactions based on the arts with content centered on the Cummer Museum’s Collection and Gardens.
- Support the Museum’s mission, vision, and values by exhibiting the following behaviors: excellence and competence, collaboration, innovation, respect for individuals, commitment to our community, and accountability and ownership.
- Assist with development and implementation of a 0-3 early childhood parent/child program that is held once a month on Saturday morning in 2017 and twice a month in 2018, one Saturday and one weekday a month.
- Serve as program Teacher/Educator.
- Assist in creation, design, and implementation of lesson plans that are best practice and support the development shifts from ages 0-3.
- Serve as project manager for the development of a 0-3 family guide to the Museum’s Collection and Gardens.
- Serve as project manager for the development of Creativity Packs for children ages 0-3 and their families to use in the Galleries and Gardens.
- Work with the Museum’s educational evaluation consultant to create an assessment for this program.
- Adapt lessons plans to suit a diverse audience of differing abilities.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree (Master’s preferred) in early childhood education, arts education, or studio art.
- Minimum of 5 years experience in teaching early childhood arts education. Museum experience is a plus.
- Demonstrated understanding of and familiarity with implementing developmentally- and age-appropriate interactive teaching practices.
- Knowledge of current early childhood education teaching practices.
- Flexibility and respect for cultural diversity.
- Ability to communicate in the written and spoken word with tact, diplomacy, and/or authority when necessary.
- Ability to work with co-workers, volunteers, and the public in a professional manner in a variety of tasks.
- Be open to learning and adapt to changes as they arise within the Museum.
- Ability to pass an official Level 2 background check as outline by Florida State Law.
- Ability to frequently lift and carry up to 25 lbs.
- Ability to bend, stoop, lift, reach, push, pull, twist, walk, crouch, and squat.
- Valid Florida driver license.
Qualified Contractors send cover letter and resumé to the Cummer Museum of Art & Gardens, Attn: Director of Education, 829 Riverside Ave, Jacksonville, FL 32204 email@example.com